A 19-year-old Burlington resident has been charged with second-degree attempted murder in connection with the Aug. 13 shooting on Main Street in Burlington, according to a press release.
Abukar Hilowle is being held at Northwest State Correctional Facility in St. Albans without bail, Burlington police said in the Wednesday night release. Police said additional charges are expected at Hilowle’s arraignment, which is set for Thursday.
Hilowle is charged in the overnight shooting in which two men were injured. Burlington police responded to reports of gunfire between Church Street and St. Paul Street at about 1:30 a.m. on Aug. 13, Acting Police Chief Jon Murad said in an earlier press release. Officers at the scene found the two victims, “each of whom had been struck by gunfire,” he said. Neither victim has been identified.
Police were unable to locate any suspects at the time. Burlington police said it received assistance from a number of other agencies, both local and federal, including “the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF), Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA), Homeland Security Investigations (HSI), Vermont State Police, Winooski Police Department, Colchester Police Department, South Burlington Police Department and Milton Police Department.”
The Aug. 13 shooting was the city’s 20th gunfire incident this year.
— Jeralyn Darling
- Randolph boy dies in ATV crash in Mount Holly (August 25, 11:37 am)
- Burlington teen charged in shooting that injured 2 people (August 24, 10:54 pm)
- Burlington police respond to gunfire incident at Perkins Pier (August 23, 1:55 pm)
- South Royalton man shot in Brookfield on Sunday (August 23, 9:37 am)
- Police release few new details about fatal Brattleboro shooting (August 22, 6:41 pm)